Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Book Worm Wednesday

bookworm wed's

Welcome to Book Worm Wednesday!!!   This week I’m trying something new and do some reviews on a separate day.  This week I have a few of them for you.  I’m going to do this when ever I finish a book as I tend to  do a great deal of reading at night.  I’m starting a new blog over on BookLikes.com under the handle “A Single Word…”.  I am also taking part in a reading challenge just to see how many books  I can read in a year.  My goal is 100 books.  I hope you will follow along as I read my way to my goal.    I also share my reviews on several online book sites, including Goodreads.com.

The first one is geared to children but adults will love it as well.  “Children  Of  The Tipi: Live In The Buffalo Days” by Micheal Oren Fitzgerald.   This book is published by Wisdom Tales in 2013.

cover29907-medium 

This review comes to me as an ARC through NetGallery for my honest opinion. The following is my own statements and doesn’t reflect on to those associated with the making of the book.  The description was provided by NetGallery.

Description

What was it like to grow up in the world of the pre-reservation Plains Indians before the coming of the white man? Prior to our modern era of television, video games, and computers how did American Indian children live, learn, and play? In this beautifully illustrated book, award-winning author, Michael Oren Fitzgerald, combines stunning photographs and simple quotations by Indian chiefs and elders to explain to today's youth what life would have been like growing up on the American plains.
Children of the Tipi includes sections on boys and girls at play, camp life, and the important role of parents and grandparents. It features historical sepia photographs of children at work and play, as well as detailed color photographs of their toys, tools, and everyday objects.

I found the photographing to be excellent, the quotes from the Chiefs & Elders full of knowledge and insightful.  I enjoyed this look in to the Native Americans of the Mid-Western regions.  This would be a wonderful addition to my personal library and will be recommend it to my village library also as all age groups can appreciate this book.  I give it 5 out of 5 stars.

--------------------------------------------------------------------b6eb1121da8765692e82709f19e48802

This week I also finished another book from the “Quilts of Love” series. This time it was “Path of Freedom” by Jennifer Hudson Taylor.  It is published by Abingdon Press in 2013.

Description

When Quakers Flora Saferight and Bruce Millikan embark on the Underground Railroad, they agree to put their differences aside to save the lives of a pregnant slave couple. With only her mother’s quilt as a secret guide, the foursome follows the stitches through unknown treachery.

As they embark on their perilous journey, they hope and pray that their path is one of promise where love sustains them, courage builds faith, and forgiveness leads to freedom.

This one I checked out of the library myself.  I thought I would share my opinion on this one with you this week since I was here.  Once again I found this to be a fast read for me with it’s 226 pages.  This series has been especially popular at my little village library.  I was more than happy to recommend  this series.  These books are flying off the shelves as fast as it comes in.  From what I understand , they are so popular that there is a waiting list for each of them at our library and now the word is getting around to other libraries. 

Anyways, this book gave me another spin on the “Underground  Railroad”  then we normally hear of.  This one was about how the Quakers took part in the transporting slaves to the North with  the help of a special wagon and a special quilt to show the way.  It was interesting enough to sending me to my search engine to do some more into the subject.  I love when a good fiction writer does their research bringing to light something I might not have prior  knowledge.  So Thank You Jennifer for sending me on a new trail of education!!  I rather enjoyed the book and gave it 5 our of 5 stars. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Now here is one for all my quilting followers.  I had the chance to get a ARC from NetGallery.  “Quilting With A Modern Slant: People, Patterns & Techniques Inspiring the Modern Quilt Community”  By Rachel May from Storey Publishing in Jan. 8, 2014.

cover34288-small 

Description

Modern quilting allows artists the freedom to play with traditions and take liberties with fabrics, patterns, colors, stitching, and the ways in which they all connect. In Quilting with a Modern Slant, Rachel May introduces you to more than 70 modern quilters who have developed their own styles, methods, and aesthetics. Their ideas, their quilts, and their tips, tutorials, and techniques will inspire you to try something new and follow your own creativity wherever it leads.

Now I have to admit this is not my style of quilting.  But as a reviewer’s point of view this book is informative, up to date with all the quilters in the “now”  and full of tips & techniques' that even appealed to me.  Some I have heard of but was introduce to many names I haven’t come across before this.  There was lots of pictures and several patterns are included.  It would be worth it’s weight to any quilter’s book collection. I give it 4.5 stars out of 5. 

Well I hope that you enjoyed this special  edition to my blog.  Let me know what you think as I look forward to learning from your feedback.  Until next time…

Toodles,
Tricia

1 comment:

  1. Quakers were a part of the Abolitionist movement in the US from the start. Many of them joined the Suffrage movement as well. I highly recommend a recent book called Lucretia Mott's Herest: Abolition and Women's Rights in 19th Century America by Carol Faulkner. It is non-fiction, but well written.

    I am a historian, as well as an embroiderer. Susan B. Anthony (raised a Quaker) lived in my hometown as a child/teen & I've always been fascinated by the Suffrage movement. Plus, Solomon Northup, the free man of color who was kidnapped & sold into slavery (12 Years a Slave) was from my area also. I highly recommend reading that as well.

    Check out my embroidery/ redwork blog if you are interested. (GYB)

    aprilsongstress

    ReplyDelete