Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Book Worm Wednesday

bookworm wed's

Welcome to Book Worm Wednesday once again.  Glad to have you back.  This week I have three books for you.  “Relentless Heart”,  “Prepared for a Purpose”,   and “Where Monsters Dwell”Three different genres that allowed me to feed my need for the written word in the past two weeks. 

How is someone like me capable of do this?   How does a one start an affair with “a single word”?

Well those of you that are true bibliophiles understand  how one can read more than one book at the same time.   I do it without missing a beat and this apparent skill set is something that I have since developed since upper elementary grades.  I could read anywhere at a drop of the preverbal hat.  Under the covers, on the bus with my knees wedged in the seat in front of me, hanging upside down on the monkey bars, walking to school nose deep and in natural kudzu vine caves in Tennessee just to name a few examples.  I learn quickly where the library was in whatever area that we landed in our many moves that I was subjected to all my life.  To me books were the constant in my life as I was forever the “new kid” in school.  I  grew up with taunts of “brainiac”, “bookworm”, “freak”  and more by many a peer.  Some how I was always to blame for killing the book report grading curve.  When assigned those,  I took what suppose to be 3 pages and turn it into 10 or 15without batting a lash.  Even in my college composition classes.  I was even known to do illustrations.  LOL.  By the time high school came around, things didn’t get any better for the rest of my peers when it came to time for the do Shakespeare.  The groans would roll across the rooms only to get to me with a “Sweeeettt” .   Why ?  Because I would read the complete works every summer  starting in middle school just because.  Remember when you had those required summer reading list?  My mother would look at it, hand it back to me saying “well … that will take you a month to read”

When asked what I read over the summer,  I would most often reply “all of them & more”.  It use to puzzle teachers and librarians alike.  Kids don’t read for enjoyment.  They don’t read all the books on that list.  In fact if teachers got students to even read one book they counted that as a success.  Many asked me and my parents what was “wrong” with me.  If I was a savant or something to that effect throughout my school years.  I was always found to be “too quiet” for my own good, socially stunted in their opinion.  I thought I was a well read child.  Go Figure … Right? {{shrugs}} 

I never really thought about it being unusual or different.  If you asked me to read out loud,  I would stutter and stumble with every word.  It had sent me to remedial classes time and time again.  Believe it or not - this has caused many phone calls to my parents and required meetings in more schools then I care to think about. The problem wasn’t that I couldn’t read… I had the opposite problem.  The problem was my vocal word speed couldn’t keep up with my written word speed.   But now that I think about it… I remember phones calls/meetings because I always had a high reading level.  Which led to many questions and pop quizzes by school personal as they thought I was just checking out books to hand in in a few days.  Example would be 7th grade and reading Margaret Mitchell's “Gone With The Wind” in 3 days or when I read  Stephen King’s “The Stand” the following month or two in a weekend.  As a child, punishment to me was taking my books away and forcing me to watch TV.  The anger that it would cause me…. LOL!

Well things hasn’t change much in my life when it comes to books.  I still spend my nights with either my e-reader or a book in hand with what I believe is my 5th book light in about 3 years.  I have to admit that moving into this century’s technologically was freeing in a way when when I finally got my Sony e-reader this past year.  I mean the person who came up with that… huzzah!!  Instead of packing a half of bag of books for road trips, I can download  them & take up lot less rooms.  Bonus!! 

So there it is, how I progressed in my continuous love affair with the written word. All it took was a single word.  Well now that I have rambled on about me and possibly more than you wanted to know;  how about those book reviews. {{wink!!}}

First up is “Where Monsters Dwell” by Jorgen Brekke.  Published February 11th 2014 by Minotaur Books.

cover37023-medium 

Description

A brutal murder in Norway, a murder in Virginia—both connected to sixteenth century palimpsest of a serial murderer's confession
A murder at the Edgar Allan Poe Museum in Richmond, Virginia, bears a close resemblance to one in Trondheim, Norway. The corpse of the museum curator in Virginia is found flayed in his office by the cleaning staff; the corpse of an archivist at the library in Norway, is found inside a locked vault used to store delicate and rare books. Richmond homicide detective Felicia Stone and Trondheim police inspector Odd Singsaker find themselves working on similar murder cases, committed the same way, but half a world away. And both murders are somehow connected to a sixteenth century palimpsest book—The Book of John—which appears to be a journal of a serial murderer back in 1529 Norway, a book bound in human skin.

This review comes to me as an ARC through NetGallery for my honest opinion. The following is my own statements and doesn’t reflect on to those associated with the making of the book.  The description was provided by NetGallery.

Wow!! This book was gripping from the very beginning.  This author is Scandinavian and has the ability to pull you into the grisly scene with the finest description that was beyond impressive with his knowledge of police procedure, human anatomy and historical facts.  He teases you with all little details that has you using all of your sensor organs as you read.  If you are a big fan of police crimes, the truly grisly personas like Jack the Ripper & Hannibal,  and a mix of homeland & foreign settings this book will have you in it’s grips.  But be cautioned - it will have you guessing until the end.  But not only that, it will cause your breathe to catch in suspense; riveted to the smooth transition between the 16th century and the present, and those around you will be rivaling for your attention as you try to read this book in one sitting.  I’m very happy to see this book  has come to us in the English form.  Without any doubts I gave this 5 out of 5 stars and would give it more if I could.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next we have “Rebellious Heart” by Jody Hedlund. Published September 15th 2013 by Bethany House Publishers.

RebelliousHeart_mck.indd

Description

When Susanna's heart for the poor and Ben's disillusionment with British rule cross paths, the two find themselves bound in a dangerous fight for justice.

Because she's a woman, higher learning was always closed to Susanna Smith. But her quick mind and quicker tongue never back down from a challenge. And she's determined to marry well, so she'll be able to continue her work with the less fortunate.
Growing up with little to his name, poor country lawyer Benjamin Ross dreams of impacting the world for the better. When introduced to the Smiths he's taken by Susanna's intelligence and independent spirit, but her parents refuse to see him as a suitor for their daughter.
When the life of a runaway indentured servant is threatened, Susanna is forced to choose between justice and mercy, and Ben becomes her unlikely advisor. But drawing closer to this man of principle and intellect lands her in a dangerous, secret world of rebellion and revolution against everything she once held dear.

This review comes to me as an ARC through NetGallery for my honest opinion. The following is my own statements and doesn’t reflect on to those associated with the making of the book.  The description was provided by NetGallery.

This was a historical romance “loosely” based on the fledging stages of President John Adams & his wife - Abigail pre-Revolutionary War according to the author in a somewhat condensed timeline.  This is the story of opposites attracting after a bit of a bumpy road during a time where you knew your place, what was excepted of you, where your reputation was everything and sometimes secrets are hard to keep. 

You’re transported back to a time when we were still under Monarchy rule, heavy taxes and animosity for the British “red coats” in evident.  The story was well written in it’s glances of the past, smooth reading and making you understand how some decisions were made.  I thought the back was put together well and I’d give it 4.5 stars out of 5.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I bring to you “Prepared for a Purpose: The Inspiring True Story of How One Woman Saved an Atlanta School Under Siege”by Antoinette Tuff,  with Alex Tresniowski. Published January 21st 2014 by Bethany House Publishers. 

PreparedforaPurpose_top2-mckps.indd Description

True Story of Courage and Compassion in a School Under Siege
As 870 children waited in fear, their elementary school rushed into lockdown mode. As the nation faced yet another Sandy Hook story of tragedy, one woman rewrote the ending.
Yet the story doesn't start with those first steps Michael Hill took into that Atlanta elementary school. It starts with Antoinette Tuff, a woman who faced her own pain, hurt, and rejection, yet held onto grace, faith, and hope. A hope that anchored her in the most high stakes of moments, a grace that allowed her to empathize with a hurting young man, and a faith that gave her the courage to love him back from the brink.
This is more than just the amazing account of tragedy averted. It's the evidence of what we can do when we allow ourselves to be used by God. And it's a story of how God uses "all "of our life experiences--the good and the bad--to prepare us for our own moment of divine purpose

This review comes to me as an ARC through NetGallery for my honest opinion. The following is my own statements and doesn’t reflect on to those associated with the making of the book.  The description was provided by NetGallery.

This book comes out in a time when almost nightly we hear of a school or public place was subjected to yet another shooting.  We try to figure out what makes the shooter do such things and who is responsible.  And often than not, the innocent victims shot before the shooter takes his own life.  This true story give you a slightly different approach as a Ms. Tuff’s day begins just like any other day and takes a dive down hill before noon.  This story plays on many of your emotions as you read it.  At times I found this book difficult to get through with it emotional roller coaster but it’s was refreshing that some one made a difference in this young man’s life - who took the only action he could in his desperate plea for help in a society that failed him in the form of budget cuts, no matter what was happening in her own life that seemly is crumbling around her.  I was glad I  made it completely through the story.   I would give it 4.75 stars out of 5.

Well after such a large posting, I will wrap this up.  If you happen to read any of these books I would love to know what you thought of them.  I’ve loaded the e-reader with my next stack of virtual books and  I have a real book to start tonight.  Until next time …

Toodles,
Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment